An estimated 80% of women will be mothers by the time they turn 40. And though motherhood is one of the most rewarding experiences a woman can have, it can also take a serious toll on your body. Pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding can cause significant changes to a woman’s breasts and abdomen, often leading to feelings of self-consciousness and dissatisfaction with one’s appearance. If you’re a mother who is unhappy with your post-pregnancy body, you may be considering a “mommy makeover.” But what exactly is a mommy makeover? And is it right for you? Read on Dr Leonard Hochstein to learn more.
A mommy makeover is a combination of cosmetic procedures designed to help mothers regain their pre-pregnancy figure. The specific procedures included in a mommy makeover will vary depending on the patient’s individual goals and concerns, but common treatments include breast augmentation, breast lift, tummy tuck, and liposuction.
If you’re unhappy with your post-pregnancy body and are considering cosmetic surgery to improve your appearance, you may be wondering if a mommy makeover is right for you. Here are some factors to consider:
- Age: Most women who undergo mommy makeovers are in their 30s or 40s. This is because it generally takes this long for the body to recover from pregnancy and for the skin to tighten back up after weight fluctuations. If you’re considering surgery at an older age, it’s important to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon to see if you’re eligible.
- Overall health: To be eligible for cosmetic surgery, patients must be in good general health with no active medical conditions that could complicate surgery or impede healing.
- Weight: It’s important that patients be close to their goal weight before undergoing surgery. This is because substantial weight loss or gain can reverse the effects of surgery.
- Diet and exercise: Eating healthy foods and exercising regularly can help improve your results after surgery and help ensure that your results last as long as possible.
- Excess skin: One of the main reasons women opt for mommy makeovers is excess skin around the abdomen that has lost its elasticity due to pregnancy or weight fluctuations. If this is your primary concern, eyelid surgery or facial procedures are not likely to address your needs and may not be included in your mommy makeover surgical plan.
Remember, the best way to determine if a mommy makeover is right for you is to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon. During your consultation, your surgeon will assess your individual goals and concerns to develop a surgical plan that’s tailored specifically for you.
There’s no question that becoming a mother brings about many changes – some of them physical. If you’re not happy with your post-pregnancy body, you may want to consider a “mommy makeover.” This type of surgery typically includes breast augmentation, breast lift, tummy tuck, and liposuction procedures. As with any type of cosmetic surgery, it’s important that patients consult with board-certified plastic surgeons to see if they are eligible candidates. Factors such as age, overall health, weight, diet & exercise habits should all be considered before undergoing any type of cosmetic procedure.